This soup is a classic in many countries. It's a good hearty everyday soup, that will heat you up and fill you up without robbing your wallet. And I love that this soup is easy to make, dinner is ready under 45 minutes.
Serve the soup with a cheesy dinner roll.
- 850 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 leeks, rinsed and sliced thinly. Save a little for garnish
- 20 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1200 ml stock, vegetable or chicken
- 1½ dl (little over ½ cup) heavy whipping cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan. Add leeks, garlic and potatoes, cook them for 5-7 minutes, until potatoes begin to soften. Do not let the potatoes get browned. Add the stocking bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in a blender* until smooth, and return to saucepan.
Add the cream and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Serve the hot soup with the toppings.
* Be careful when working with hot soup in a blender. If you need a new blender, consider a Vitamix. They are expensive, but they are worth all the money. They can liquefy almost anything and makes soup and margaritas so smooth and creamy. But the best part, you can blend hot soups without having to clean the soup of all your kitchen cabinets afterwards. Just saying. ;)