I keep getting attacked by blood oranges at my grocery store. They keep hopping into my cart.
So I have to figure out new ways to use them. I have been roasting whole chicken with lemons, so why not use blood oranges?
I really like the sweet and sour taste this combination gives. The sauce is very thin and can be thickened, but the taste was fantastic.
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs
- few sprigs of mint, torn
- 2 blood oranges, thinly sliced
- 1-2 red onions, cut in chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 200 ml orange juice (preferably blood orange)
Mix the marinade add the chicken to it, and let the chicken marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 425℉ (220℃).
Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish, add onion, mint, blood orange slices and pour the marinade over.
Place dish in oven and roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 35-45 minutes.
Serve chicken with rice or couscous.