This Russian Salad is not a Olivier salad or a potato salad, but a beet salad used in Denmark on an open faced sandwich mostly with some kind of egg.
This sandwich was a go-to for my mom, when she needed a quick and easy dinner. For a working mom you need some easy solutions. My mom just had to fry the eggs, the rest was store bought.
I love the vibrant color of the salad, and the sweetness from the apple and the beets, pairs perfect with the dense rye bread and the fried egg.
- 4 slices Danish rye bread
- 4 eggs, fried
- 3 beets, tomato-sized (cooked with skin on for about 45 minutes in salted water), cooled & diced
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche or sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon mustard
- ½-1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- salt & pepper
Mix the dressing first and add apple and beets. Let the salad rest in the refrigerator to let the flavors develop and mix. Season the salad with salt, pepper and sugar.
Serve the salad on a slice of rye bread with a boiled or fried egg on top.