We really like thai-inspired food in our house. Mostly we have rice with the meal, but I needed a lighter meal, so I opted for a pearl barley/cabbage salad.
The meatballs were really really tasty. They were very flavorful, a little on the spicy side, but you can control that with the amount of chili you add. If you need a new twist to your normal meatballs give these a try.
- 450 g (1 lbs) ground pork
- 150 g (⅓ lbs) raw shrimp (peeled and deveined), grounded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ lime, the juice from
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- pearl barley, cooked according to instructions on package
- green cabbage, thinly sliced
- carrots, julienned
- chili pepper, julienned
Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl. Heat a skillet with some vegetable oil and panfry a small test meatball. Taste the cooked test meatball and season the meatball mixture if it according to your taste.
Form the meatball with a spoon, and panfry them, until cooked through. Mix up the salad, and serve the meatballs on the salad with some satay sauce on the side.